Dos And Don’ts In A Tampa Divorce
Going through a divorce in Tampa is a difficult process. Decisions made during these proceedings can impact your rights for years to come. It is important to be aware of what to avoid during the process, as well as ways to protect yourself. Our Tampa divorce attorney explains common dos and don’ts that could make a major difference in your case.
Protecting Yourself When Getting A Divorce In Tampa
Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your marriage or the reason for your breakup, there are important decisions you will need to make in your divorce. To protect yourself in these proceedings, we encourage you to take the following steps:
- Do get legal counsel: A DIY divorce may sound easy and like a way to save money. However, not knowing how the Florida Statutes apply in your case or how to navigate legal proceedings will likely cost you time and money in the long run.
- Do keep an open mind: While our goal is to get the best possible settlement, be aware that some type of compromise is generally required in divorce proceedings. Trust u to negotiate the best possible settlement.
- Do be patient: If there are no children or property and assets to divide, you may be able to get a final divorce order in as little as a few months. In more contested or high-asset cases, it could take considerably longer.
- Do make a reasonable budget for after your divorce: Be aware of what you will need to support yourself once your divorce is finalized. In some cases, you may be entitled to alimony payments. In terms of marital property division, if you are considering fighting for the family home or other assets, consider the costs to maintain them.
- Do make children a priority: If you are getting a divorce and have children from the marriage, make their well-being your top priority. Realize that this may involve working with the other parent in implementing child time-sharing arrangements.
- Do communicate with your lawyer regularly: We are here to help. Communicate honestly and openly, let us know if you have any questions or concerns, and respond to requests for information promptly.
What Not To Do In A Tampa Divorce
At Bubley & Bubley, P.A., we can guide you through each step of the divorce process, making sure your rights and best interests are protected. However, there are certain things you will want to avoid:
- Discussing the matter with your spouse without our divorce attorney present;
- Posting details about your case or the situation on social media;
- Missing hearings and not maintaining proper decorum in Hillsborough County Family Court proceedings;
- Refusing to be open to negotiations, including mediation;
- Wanting revenge on your spouse, rather than simply what you are legally entitled to in a settlement.
Request A Consultation With Our Tampa Divorce Lawyer
Get the trusted legal guidance and professional representation you need to protect your rights in divorce at Bubley & Bubley, P.A. To request a consultation, call or contact our Tampa divorce lawyer online today.